Monday, October 14, 2024

A Slightly Different Archaeopteryx Fuzz

Last month I finished up a fairly old school version of the Octavia fuzz pedal with a ton of ceramic capacitors, etc. I'd intended to build about three of these, but ran out of some of the more vintage bits to actually go full ceramic for all of the capacitors. Since I'd already populated the resistors for the third pedal, I decided to substitute some of the same red metallized film capacitors like I use in a lot of my Klon builds for the ceramics.


The board still has sort of an old school look, apart from the one modern blue MLCC capacitor in the upper left. The carbon film resistors are all new production Yageo 5% from Mouser. The polarity protection diode is actually a NOS Motorola I picked up at my local electronics parts store - as are the Nichicon electrolytic capacitors. The transistors are all new production as are the red film capacitors. 


For final construction I followed my normal practice for boards of this type. I'd moved the LED to the bottom of the enclosure, so it's jumpered on the main PCB. The daughter board current limiting resistor and brightness control are also bypassed as there is a CLR on the main board. I'm using ribbon cable to connect the main PCB to the daughter board and aviation grade wiring to connect the jacks - all insulated with heat shrink tubing.


The outside of the enclosure is the same as the other version featuring a very, very groovy archaeopteryx. As compared to my earlier build, the sound is really quite similar, but I need to do more research - especially putting it in front of a tube amp to really tell for certain. I foresee some quality time spent with my Vox in the near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment