Sunday, June 19, 2022

Birds of a Feather - Updating the EQD Plumes Clone!

When I built my first clone of the EQD Plumes pedal, I indicated that there was one difference between my version and the original. My first build used a simple 3PDT switch which meant it was either on or off, unlike the original pedal which could be used as an instantaneous boost or distortion if one kept their foot on the pedal switch. I figured it would be possible to add this functionality to the pedal, so I went in search of the right daughter board. Fortunately PedalPCB has an specific bypass module, the Intelligent Relay Bypass, that will in combination with a momentary switch make the pedal work just like the original!


The main PCB is exactly the same as my first build, with essentially the same component choice across the board from the resistors, to capacitors, to ICs, etc. The real change here is the addition of the daughter board with a latching relay (the orange IC), a separate controller IC, a transistor, and then a third IC in a transistor form factor. The 100K resistor isn't filled as it is used for a different functionality which can be enabled with this board. 


The relay daughter board is wired to the momentary footswitch, and I didn't want it floating in the enclosure, so I used a four prong pin header to solder it to the main board. The LED sort of floats underneath both of these boards,  and I went ahead and wrapped both leads of the LED with heat-shrink tubing as I didn't want it to short out on the pin headers attaching the two PCBs together.


The cover art on this one is exactly the same as on my first build as well, the only difference is this one now works exactly like the original pedal in all respects. If you tap the footswitch, it turns on / off normally as if you'd tapped a standard 3PDT switch. If you tap and hold the switch, you can go from bypass to engaging whatever mode the pedal is set for as long as you hold down the footswitch. The only issue is, quite frankly, the added cost. Between the PCB, relay, microcontroller, and the other extra bits, the "build" cost starts approaching the cost of the retail unit. It's still cheaper to build, but not by a whole heck of a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment