Thursday, March 10, 2022

Completing the Original Three - The Boss OD-1 Overdrive!

In 1977, Boss released its first three compact effects pedals for guitar. I'd previously built the AionFX clones of two of them: the PH-1r Phaser (the Emerald) and the SP-1 Spectrum (the Chroma). With two of three complete, you knew I'd eventually get around to finishing the set. AionFX's Parhelion is a clone of the Boss OD-1 Overdrive pedal with a couple of added features giving the pedal a little more flexibility. Note, the legacy version of this project (like the legacy version of the Comet board I built few weeks ago) was originally called the "Corona" (as in the corona of the sun), but when the new version of the project was released in 2021 the name was changed for, well, obvious reasons!


As Boss pedals, or honestly any pedals, go this is a fairly simple and straightforward build. The component count is low. The OD-1 was one of the first pedals to incorporate diode clipping in conjunction with an Op Amp, something also later seen in the MXR Distortion+. The AionFX board adds a couple of additional features in the form of toggle switches - the clipping switch alternates between three sets of clipping diodes, and the EQ switch modifies the gain structure. The board is designed to mimic the early version of the effect which used the Raytheon RC3403. I managed to lay my hands on an original, but the NJM3403AD is identical in all respects and is still in production. There was a typo in the build instructions (which has been fixed) and it previously had recommended the similar, but not identical, LM324 and LM348 op amps - so there is also room for experimentation with different op amps.


This particular enclosure was ordered with the "first batch" of Boss pedal enclosures. I'm getting a bit more adventurous for my "second batch," but those aren't on order yet. It will be obvious when the updated artwork versions start making their way to the page. I'd forgotten that this one had toggle switches rather than knobs for the lower two controls, so the labels are further away than I'd have placed them otherwise, but given how simple these enclosures are, I don't think it really detracts.

I unfortunately haven't gotten to play much with this pedal beyond basic functional testing as I was an idiot and cut the index finger on my fretting hand last Monday - and needed two stitches - which just came out yesterday. What little I've been able to play so far, though, I've really liked. The clipping switch option gives the pedal a lot of range and character in one box. I think this one is going to see a fair amount of use once I get back to practicing (hopefully this weekend!).


As this was the last of the "first three" builds, I couldn't resist the opportunity to take a group shot of my clones of the original three organized like the gift sets Boss sold a few years ago. Of the three, the Phaser and the Overdrive are the most typically useful, but I think if I put the Spectrum in front of the Overdrive, it would really come alive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment