Monday, December 19, 2022

Steggo's Year in Review and Secret Lab Update!

Honestly, it's been an amazing year here at Steggo Studios, so before we go into the Christmas season, I wanted to write-up a year in review and 2023 preview! First, 2022 was the first year that Steggo Studios actually tried to sell pedals (at the urging of a friend), and on that front, things have succeeded better than I could have dreamed. The goal was to sell some pedals and basically support my hobby of building them, and with over 60 sold this year, I'm just amazed and grateful that so many people are enjoying the tone and the fun dinosaur themes! So without further ado, let's look forward to 2023 and see what's on tap!


In the first big news, Steggo Studios will be getting an official website where all of the pedals will be cataloged. Pedals for sale will still point to the Reverb store (as trying to keep track of multiple stores is a pain in the butt). The goal of the website is for people to go in and see what all I can make and if they see something they like, they can custom order it directly.

Before going into the "newest" stuff on the horizon, I wanted to go through the list from my October update:
  • Cornish P2 in new dino-themed enclosure - I have a couple of boards, but haven't populated them yet. I'm hoping to get a more accurate trace of this pedal before going into full production.
  • Proco Rat clone / variant - currently in the building phase with some amazing art - this one should be showing up on the blog soon!
  • EQD Hoof - I've got the parts, I've got the enclosure, I just need to get it done...
  • EQD Space Spiral - see EQD Hoof
  • King of Tone - I'm still validating bits and the build on this one - this one is likely to be a custom order only.
  • TS10 Tube Screamer (Tone Geek Mod) - This one is done - the Velociraptor Screamer Classic - and is available on the Reverb Store!
  • Aclam Woman Tone Overdrive - This one is also done - Diplodocus Gears - and one is still available on the Reverb Store!
  • Klon KTR - This one is done - the Kloned Kentrosaurus and will soon be restocked at the Reverb Store!
  • A treble boost from a certain astrophysicist's rig - This one is done - The Astrodon Physicist - and is now back in stock at the Reverb Store!
  • The Cornish G-2 Clone - Yeah, it's still in production, but not yet finished - I'm going to prioritize these over the break.
  • Lovetone Cheese Source clone - The Sudden but Inevitable Betrayal is done - it's currently sold out but I have parts for one more - message me if you want one!
I didn't get everything done, but I managed to get a fair amount actually finished. Of course a few other things were released that weren't on that list - the Acapulco Gold and Arrows clones rounding out the first three entries in Kyle's "One-Knob" Collection. Notice I said "first three" as there are several others that are going to be in this line that are currently in the validation stage.


Speaking of validation stage, the photo above includes the first batch of "Steggo" branded PCBs thanks to South Obolon FX. The photo above includes the following boards (some of which have been released, some of which have not been released yet):
  • The Kloned Kentrosaurus - Klon KTR with mods which has been released - I'm currently building more up for the Reverb store as I'm sold out for the moment
  • K-T Event Fuzz - EQD Black Ash that has been validated, but I need to get more built and released
  • The Astrodon Physicist - Brian May Treble boost which has been released
  • Red Yamaceratops - Way Huge Red Llama clone - still need to build and get enclosures
  • Mosasaurus Distortion - Ibanez MT10 Mostortion clone - still need to build and get enclosures
  • Ominous Carnivorous Dinosaur - Fulltone OCD clone - in validation - see more info below!
  • Atomic Carnivore - ThorpyFX Heavy Water clone - in validation - see more info below!
  • Spinops Booster - EHX Special Cranker - still need to build and get enclosures
  • Steggo-san Overdrive - Way Huge Geisha Drive clone - full PCB version of the hand etched board I did previously!
There are several other boards I've gotten from South Obolon FX and Loud Cancer FX that I'm also working on - including the recent Big Muff Pi and TS808 builds I finished.


PedalPCB has recently put out several awesome boards as well that are getting added to the queue. He designed a new version of the Kliche Mini (125B enclosure) with offset pots like you see on the Klon KTR and was nice enough to send me his prototype boards (which he put a dinosaur on). I've built a couple of these up as "John the Maiasaura" - not to be confused with any other artist that uses a Klon with the initials JM - and they will be up on the Reverb store this week!


I've also been working on a lot of art and enclosures, some of which have shown up on my Instagram or other feeds, but I figured it was time to get all of them in one place.


First up is the "Bronto Burger" - this isn't the final art, but if all goes well this will be a clone of the very new, very expensive, PRS Horsemeat Transparent Overdrive pedal. Aside from a certain pedal that can't be sold on Reverb this pedal has probably the worst name ever, but it's a pretty good sounding pedal, so I wanted to do a fairly tongue in cheek clone!


The Ominous Carnivorous Dinosaur (Fulltone OCD clone detailed above) is also coming out soon. This will likely be the first pedal I release with artwork by @estelkatrin. She's an awesome artist from Ukraine who I got in touch with through South Obolon FX (also from Ukraine). At this point I have art for three or four pedals from her, so watch this space!


I mentioned in the recap of the October preview that I needed to finish up my EQD Hoof clone - which I do. Part of the reason is I'm also working on an EQD Hoof Reaper clone, that I decided to merge dinosaurs with the video game Diablo (specifically The Book of Cain). I think the enclosure art turned out absolutely killer, but I need to finish getting the boards built.


Above is the not quite complete concept art for the ThorpyFX Heavy Water. This is going to be a dual pedal as well, but it will fit in a 1590BB2 enclosure rather than the larger 1590XX I used for the Sudden but Inevitable Betrayal.

Also on the list:
  • An envelope filter request from a friend - hopefully the board I've found works!
  • A phaser request from a friend - again, hopefully the board I've found works!
  • A Duo-Phase clone - the (lengthy) build is just about complete. If it works, I may offer some on custom order - but even at my crazy dino prices they won't be inexpensive.
  • A fun and quirky fuzz pedal for the "one knob" collection
  • A combo pedal based on the Snake Oil pedals
  • A David Gilmour in a box combo pedal
  • Several fun fuzz pedals
  • ... and lots of surprises!
Upcoming restocks!
  • Pterodactyl Phaser
  • Secret Spinosaurus
  • Dino Comp
  • ... and I managed to find a way to get it cheap enough - I will be making two - and only two at this point - Plumage EQD Plumes clones!
Also, I'm running a pre-Christmas sale at the store this week, so get your stocking stuffers before Christmas! 


Again, I want to thank everyone who has supported Steggo this year, and I am really looking forward to 2023. I think there will be a lot of great pedals coming out, and the shop is small enough to where custom work is welcome, so watch this space and stay in touch!

No comments:

Post a Comment