Friday, July 29, 2022

Blues Driver with a Ukrainian Dinosaur - Redux!

A couple of weeks ago I posted a pedal I'd just finished which I'd intended to use as a donation for Pedals for Ukraine. Unfortunately once I got the enclosure back, I realized that there was a typo, and the there were some issues with the dinosaur - the contrast wasn't as good as I'd hoped. So, I resolved to revamp the artwork and give it another go. The enclosures finally came in today, so I got cracking!


As before, these are Galaxie Mod Boss Blues Driver pedals. I'm hoping to make a total of three of these in the near future. The first is a Pedals for Ukraine donation, the second is for me (since I ended up selling the first Galaxie mod clone I built), and the third will likely go up on the Reverb store with a portion of the proceeds going to Ukrainian relief. You'll notice from the PCB above, that this one looks a little bit different. I tried to emphasize the use of blue and yellow components as much as possible, but there are a few Panasonic capacitors thrown in, and even a few... red ones... However, you'll notice the red ones are vastly outnumbered, poorly led, and hold strategically disadvantageous positions...


I do want to give a major shout out to Pedalhacker Electronics for donating the capacitor set for the Pedals for Ukraine pedal (I bought two other matching sets). As before, the resistors are all 1/4W 1% tolerance. I went with a TI RC4558 chip this time as I'd just purchased several from Pedalhacker. This one also includes the original through-hole 2SK-184GR transistors as well.


Both pedals are wired identically with a star ground on the input and heat shrink over all of the major connections. There isn't room in the enclosure for a battery, so this one is 9V DC only. Serial number 2 will be the donation pedal as it has a 100% matching set of resistors. I ended up having to use two KOA Speer rather than Yageo resistors on Serial number 3, so that will be the one I keep. Otherwise the two pedals are identical.


Which brings me to the enclosure! I had posted a mock up of the art on my Instagram page a few days ago, but now you can see the real thing. As you can see, the dino is a bit more prominent in the middle of the pedal along with a Ukrainian Trident. I decided to go all out and get yellow rather than black knobs for this one. It's a bit bolder than what I normally go, but this is all themed for a good cause! Keep watching the Pedals for Ukraine page, as I'm not sure when this one will go up for auction. There will be more detail photos of the exterior as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment