Friday, July 15, 2022

Tone Geek Mini-Taur - Early Silver Configuration (Warning: Graphic Klontent)

I've built several Klon clones at this point, including several Mini-Taur boards from The Tone Geek - most recently a fairly early configuration one for my personal use. As I mentioned in my teaser post a few days ago, one of the upcoming production pedals was going to be a Klon Centaur clone, but I wanted to finalize the part load out and configuration so I could buy in bulk. I had one last Mini-Taur board and faceplate lying around, so I decided to build one last one up with the faceplate before moving to the new enclosure (and hitting up Ryan for some boards sans faceplates!). 


Sadly I was a dorkasaurus and didn't get a photo of this amazing PCB before I put it in the box, but you can sort of get the idea from the photo above. Using Tone Geek's layout and my Ceriatone Centura as I guide, I built this one to early/mid silver configuration using the appropriate mix of carbon and metal film resistors, a tantalum capacitor, metal film capacitors for all values <1uF, a mix of bipolar and polar electrolytic capacitors, and accurate ICs. The TL072s are upgraded to the IP version, and the fabled "Magic Diodes" are accurate to the pedal and were hand picked for the recommended ~0.35V forward voltage. 


Wiring is as per the basic instructions, and this one even has the really nice stomp switch (I may eventually have to swap out the X-wing one on my Ceriatone for something like this). 


As I mentioned before, this will be the last build of this type with the Tone Geek faceplate. Going forward, I'm going to make these with a fun new dino-themed enclosure. The first batch is on order from Tayda, but as the order was just placed today I've got several weeks to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment